Georgia Football: The Bulldogs 5 Sets of Stats that Define the Season
Running Back Depth
We heard about Georgia’s depth at running back all off-season and it lived up to the hype, thanks in no small part to a much-improved offensive line.
- Georgia will likely finish the year with two 1,000-yard rushers – Nick Chubb has racked up 1,175 and Sony Michel is sitting on 948.
- Georgia should have four running backs with at least 700 yards, as D’Andre Swift is at 597 for the year.
- Six Georgia runners (including wide receivers Mecole Hardman and Riley Ridley) are averaging 5.0 yards per carry or more, this includes Swift, Michel, Chubb and Elijah Holyfield.
Jake Fromm, allegedly a true freshman, has played with staggering efficiency for Georgia.
- Fromm ranks 7th in the nation in passer rating at 168.2
- No freshman is ranked ahead of Fromm in this category. Baylor QB Charlie Brewer is the next-highest rated QB at no. 31 in the nation with a rating of 146.3.
- Fromm is on pace for about 2,500 passing yards, 25 TDs and just 6 INTs (assuming two more games).
From has been helped out tremendously by big-play receivers.
- Georgia has five receivers with at least five catches and a per-catch average of at least 14.5 yards – Ahkil Crumpton (5 catches, 19.2 YPC), Terry Godwin (29 catches, 18.6 YPC), Riley Ridley (8 catches, 17.0 YPC), Javon Wims (38 catches, 16.6 YPC), Mecole Hardman (14.7 YPC).
- Last year, Georgia had only one wide receiver who fit that bill – Riley Ridley.
Well-Rounded Defensive Success
- Georgia ranks 4th nationally in scoring defense, 4th in yards allowed per game, 2nd in passing allowed yards per game and 12th in rushing yards allowed per game.
- Roquan Smith has been a monster. He’s first on the team by a wide margin in tackles (113 to J.R. Reed’s 69), a close second in tackles for loss (10.5 vs. D’Andre Walker’s 11.5), first in sacks (at 5.5) and first in QB Hits (17 vs. Lorenzo Carter’s 15).
- Nine different Bulldogs have come up with turnovers in the form of recovered fumbles or interceptions.
- SixBulldogs have come up with multiple turnovers. J.R. Reed leads the team with four takeaways (2 INTs and 2 FRs). Lornzo Carter (all FRs) and Dominick Sanders (all INTs) have three takeaways. Deandre Baker (both INTs) and Aaron Davis (one of each)
Special Teams Proficiency
That’s not something we’re used to around here!
- Rodrigo Blankenship has kicked 60 touchbacks on 82 attempts.
- Hot Rod is also 15/17 on field goals and his back up, David Marvin, is 1/1. Georgia is 6th in the country in field goal percentage, with both misses coming from outside 40 yards. Georgia has not missed an extra point.
- Georgia is 14th nationally in punting average (44.5) and 8th nationally in net punting average (42.1). All punts have come from grad transfer Cameron Nizialek, an underrated Dawg.