Bowl Season! Week Two Preview
You may notice there was no week one preview for bowls. I have ZERO context for Georgia State/San Jose State in something called the Cure Bowl, Arkansas State/La Tech in the probably-fun-New Orleans Bowl, or the others that have transpired.
BUT IN CASE YOU MISSED THEM:
- New Mexico Bowl: Arizona 45, New Mexico 37
- RAYCOM MEDIA (of the old ACC Network days) Camellia Bowl: App State 31, Ohio 29
- Las Vegas Bowl: Utah 35, BYU 28. Yes, a buncha Mormons played in Vegas. Yes, hilarity ensued as Utah went up 35-0 in the first quarter off FIVE BYU turnovers. And yes, BYU almost came back.
- CURE Bowl: San Jose St. 27, Georgia St. 16. Damnit, Panthers, who KILLED Georgia on aggregate versus Georgia Southern, the two schools’ common opponent.
- New Orleans Bowl: Louisiana Tech 47, Arkansas State 28. JEFF DRISKEL WON A BOWL GAME AND IS AGAIN CONSIDERED AN NFL PROSPECT.
- Miami Beach Bowl: Western Kentucky 45, South Florida 35. I watched most of this one, because I work from home and it was on at 2:30pm on a Monday. Georgia would be in the CFP with Brandon Doughty, the WKU QB. I think I’m serious.
So that’s the chaos that has ensued (and we’ve all largely missed) thus far. What about this week? I’ll take you to Christmas today and get back to you on the flip side:
- Famous Idaho Potato Bowl (on as I type): Akron vs. Utah State. Akron is up 7-0 in the first quarter, and Chuckie Keeton, who used to be the most fun random player to watch in college football, is kinda sad to watch at this point.
- Boca Raton Bowl (tonight at 7): Temple vs. Toledo. This bowl game is sponsored by Marmot, the jacket company whose website states that “to become a marmot you must climb a glaciated peak with another member of the marmot club.” And this game is played in Boca Raton, FL, where the closest you’re coming to a glaciated peak is a Scarface-style mountain of cocaine.
But seriously, this should be an okay game.
- Poinsettia Bowl (Wednesday, 4:30): Boise State vs. Northern Illinois. Two teams who, either due to injury or graduation, do not have a quarterback. The San Diego County Credit Union is now officially one of the longest-running bowl sponsors currently hosting, and they paid $400,000 for the privilege this year. I promise to write more consistently if y’all will help us sponsor a bowl game in 2016.
- GoDaddy Bowl (Wednesday, 8): Georgia Southern vs. Bowling Green. Two coachless teams. A first-time bowler versus the MAC Champ. The alma mater of many of our readers versus…a place in northern Kentucky. Bowl Season. The Drama. ESPN.
- Bahamas Bowl: Middle Tennessee vs. Western Michigan (Thursday, noon). I am embarrassed already about how much of this game I plan to watch. Why, you ask?
- This game is sponsored by Popeye’s and played in the Bahamas. Atlantis, no less.
- There could be 100 combined points.
- Its Christmas Eve (granted, noon on that day) but you’re already sick of family.
- Hawai’i Bowl: San Diego State vs. Cincinnati (Thursday 8pm). Let’s call Christmas Eve “Destination Bowl Day.” This is your post-church slightly-drunk background television.