NBA: Mid Range Jumpers
This is a new weekly blog breaking down the past week in the NBA. In today’s advanced-metric stat world, pace and space offenses have realized the value of open threes and driving the lane. We here at DYC grew up on 90’s basketball: John Tesh theme music, Ahmad Rashad on the sideline, and Michael Jordan mid-range jumpers.
At my previous internet home, I did Mid-Range jumpers as a quick way to whip around big stories. Since the weekly Hangover has replaced the need for that, I’ll be using Wednesday afternoons to wrap up some news from around the Association. I’ve had this planned for a while, so don’t think I’m just capitalizing on the unquestionably biggest story from last night.
- I was having a nice evening last night, live tweeting some choice Tuesday night programming, when my twitter feed exploded during the last few minutes of The Real World with the news of Derrick Rose’s latest knee injury. Comparisons like Penny Hardaway and Brandon Roy have been tossed around over the last few hours, but I’ll just say this: it’s unfair that this guy’s body keeps betraying him and I hope he can bounce back again, as he was playing his best ball post-first knee surgery right before the All Star Break.
- Speaking of injured former MVPs, Kevin Durant is back on the shelf, with an aggrevation of his foot injury. Unlike Derrick Rose, his most recent procedure appears to have been elective, and is designed to keep him fresher in the playoffs. Also unlike Derrick Rose, Durant has a teammate who can more than step up in his absence. And he has.
- Rajon Rondo and Rick Carlisle got into a screaming match on the sideline last night, resulting in the point guard getting benched for the final 20 minutes of game time. I hope you had February 24th in the pool, as this was an eventuality, not a possibility.
- Sam Hinkie is rumored to be looking into trading Joel Embiid for a lottery pick. This guy is determined to ruin basketball, but is doing a great job securing his employment while lying to people’s faces.
- Cleveland has won 17 of their last 19, LeBron just passed Scottie Pippen on the all time assists list at 30 years old, and Kevin Love hit 8 threes last night. Can anyone prove that LeBron isn’t behind this Love injury? Is he going to order a hit on the Hawks next? I’m worried.
- The Sloan Conference is coming up, and that means papers have started to leak. Given all of our writers fall easily into the cross section of sports fan (duh) and nerd (seriously, go count the number of DudeYouCrazy‘s posts that involve graphs and charts), this piece on NBA defense stole more of my life than I’d care to admit.
- Y’all gonna argue with him?
- Weekly Hawks Update: 44-12, 1-1 since the All Star Break, 1st in the East by 7.5 games, 2nd in point differential at +6.1, 2nd in points allowed per game, 3rd in points scored per game.
This has been your first installment of Mid Range Jumpers. I’ll be back here every Wednesday to drop more knowledge dimes next week.
(In basketball-speak, a dime is an assist. You’re welcome.)
Love this? Hate it? Think I’m an idiot? Don’t just curse at me under your breath, head to the Dude You Podcast iTunes page, and leave a 5-star review to make sure I know it, and have your voice heard on the air. Follow me at @dpalm66.