Georgia Football Knee Jerk Reactions: Arkansas Edition
Well, that was fun. Going into this game, the SEC West was 26-0 against everyone who isn’t in the SEC West, but Arkansas was also looking to break a 15 game losing streak in conference play. Something had to give, and it was the home team, over and over and over again. The first half was sublime, the third quarter was not ideal, but the Dawgs stood strong to close out the Razorbacks. Also, I’m not taking the blame for the third quarter slump, but the timestamp on this tweet is much less than good.
“What if Arkansas’ passing attack gets them back in this game?” “I don’t understand the question.” #UGAvsArk
— DPalm (@dpalm66) October 18, 2014
I regret nothing.
This is the first Georgia win that I really felt checked all the boxes for a successful football team in 2014. Generated turnovers? Check. Ran the ball effectively? Check. Threatened the opponent downfield? Check. Took the foot off the gas and had to stomp out the simmering embers of a team that still believed in itself? Check and checkmate. Hell, we even blocked an extra point and stopped two conversion attempts. Let’s go to the tape.
– Nick Chubb had a DAY. Again working to mitigate the lack of
Wally Pip Todd Gurley, he cranked out over a hundred yards, and showed a Todd-esque burst of speed to secure his long touchdown run. It’s ridiculous to think that starting the season, Chubb was 3rd on the depth chart in this backfield, but the steady recruitment of elite running talent has paid dividends through injury and suspension.
– Speaking on elite talent, I hoped the low YPC numbers against Mizzou were due to the line getting acclimated to the pacing and skill set of a new back. And, for once on this site, it looks like I was right. Big day for me. Hats off to the line which opened up holes, stayed on blocks downfield, and even gave Hutson Mason time to show off the improved vertical passing game.
– On the topic of maligned quarterbacks wearing the Georgia G, Jason Pageviews owes Mr. Mason an apology. Not only did Hutson Mason take most (all?) of the quarterbacking snaps on Saturday, he looked damn good doing it. After Arkansas opened with their long drive to start the game, Mason answered with a 74-yard, 5 play drive that plainly said, “This is not the Georgia team you were looking for.” He finished averaging over 10 yards an attempt and with 2 touchdowns. Not bad for Brice Ramsey’s placeholder.
– Somehow getting Pruitt to leave the reigning national champion to run the defense in Athens is looking more and more like Richt’s best coaching move this year. Watching this defense round into form these last few weeks has been amazing, and if you’re not excited for these kids to get more time in this system, then you’re crazy.
– I’m going to let everyone in on a dirty secret about college football: it’s really, really hard to win football games. I know we all think that’s just coach-speak, but it’s true. Even when the #BEATEMDOWN express has pulled out of the station, keeping a team down is hard work, and failing can prove disastrous. I’m glad Georgia letting Arkansas back in the game didn’t end as poorly as it could have, but I hope the third quarter serves as a teachable moment for players, coaches and fans.
– This team is plus 9 in the takeaway department in the last two games. What? I never said it had to be ugly about Georgia. Clean it up EVERYONE ELSE.
– Y’all see this FSU defense minus Pruitt? Let’s get him a lifetime contract yesterday.
Another Monday, another fun rewatch of a Georgia game. Things weren’t perfect in Little Rock, but that’ s why we have coaches and bye weeks, to fix the problems. And now it’s on to Florida Hate
Week Half Month. We here at Dude You Crazy would like to open our doors to any Florida fan who currently also hates their program. Remember: we’re Florida Hate experts, so follow our lead, and you’ll be fine.
So, Florida fans are displeased. Yeah, I think displeased covers it. http://t.co/dfd1zkdWx2
— DPalm (@dpalm66) October 19, 2014
Love this? Hate it? Think I’m an idiot? Don’t just curse at me under your breath, head to the Dude You Podcast iTunes page, and leave a 5-star review to make sure I know it, and have your voice heard on the air.