What Is a Gigem and How Do I Avoid It? A Texas A&M Preview
Johnny Football is irrelevant to Texas A&M this season, so I am drafting this quickly and seeing if I can go the rest of this post without mentioning him.
The Aggies are recruiting at an obnoxious level. Like, we have Ole Miss higher and I’m starting to question why, because nobody in the SEC has more raw talent than A&M besides Alabama and LSU. The problem? It is young talent. Very young. There are 7 senior starters as listed by Phil Steele, and 8 underclassmen. But yo, talent.
One of my favorite backstories in college football is still the Texas/Texas A&M pissing match, which will only continue to get better as Charlie Strong gains enough traction in Austin to provide bulletin board fodder. It still baffles me that A&M is in the better position to succeed long-term, BECAUSE THE SEC NETWORK NETS THEM MORE MONEY THAN THE LONGHORN NETWORK NETS TEXAS! IMEANWHAT? While I don’t think either team is good enough to play in ‘BCS’ Bowls this year, can we please get a Texas Bowl (or Liberty Bowl) out of these teams this year for some good Tuesday-night-during-Christmas-season entertainment?
But, yeah. Future Texas A&M is all sunshine, raspberries, and creepy shouts of ‘gig em’, whatever the hell that means. And Kyle Field moved WAY up the ‘stadiums to visit in the next five years’ list this offseason. (And here I start a third sentence in this paragraph with a conjunction!)
2014 Texas A&M? Wildly erratic, explosive on offense (yes, still), but also still terrible on defense.
Five Players to Watch
1) Cedric Ogbuehi, OT: The most interesting man in the SEC, because Texas A&M exploited this loophole to keep him in College Station. Seriously. Read this link (yes, its the same link). Inform yourself. He got a first-round grade this year (and remember, this is a line that had Luke Joeckel and Jake Matthews) and could be ANOTHER top-10 pick from the Ags.
2) Myles Garrett, DE: On the other line, the next freakish Clowney/Nkemdiche type guy. Apparently he’s squatting over 600 pounds and running in the high 4.6’s. At 6’5 250. Jeebus.
3) Kyle Allen, QB: Another true freshman, another guy ranked #1 at his position, and, yeah. Nothing more to see here. No pressure, kid.
4) Drew Kaser, P: The punter is a second-team All-American. Fresh legs and all that, I guess. His playing time is a direct barometer for how Texas A&M’s season is going. Seeing the field even once could be enough to cost this defense a game.
5) Ricky Seals-Jones, WR: GUESS WHAT? Another top-ranked youngin’, but he got a medical redshirt after catching a 71-yard TD pass early last year. This year, he’s probably jumping into the Ryan Swope-Mike Evans #1 receiver role.
Interesting Betting Stuff
Extremely high, too good to be true over/unders are generally sucker bets. I don’t think that rule applies to the 2014 Texas A&M Aggies.