“Jarvis Jones Might be the Biological Father of Manti Te’o…” – Science
If you were given the choice to have one of the following defensive players, which would you take?
- Player A: 4.6 Solo Tackles Per Game, 0.55 Tackles for Loss Per Game, 0.15 Sacks Per Game
- Player B: 4.625 Solo Tackles Per Game, 2.125 Tackles for Loss Per Game, 1.3125 Sacks Per Game
What if I told you that on the season:
- Player A: Had his hand in 8 total turnovers, broke up four passes and had 4 additional hits on the quarterback
- Player B: Had his hand in 8 total turnovers, broke up 2 additional passes and had 28 additional hits on the quarterback
Would you rather have:
- Player A: 9.2 total (solo and assisted) tackles per game and Tackles for Loss resulting in an average of 1.9 yards lost per game
- Player B: 7 total (solo and assisted) tackles per game and Tackles for Loss resulting in an average of 12.5 yards lost per game
Who would you take? If you work for big media you would take Player A. You would prefer a player who records 9.2 tackles per game, notches a tackle for loss (with an average loss of less than 3.5 yards) every other game, records a sack every sixth or seventh game while forcing a turnover in four out of every five games (on average). You would take Manti Te’o.
You wouldn’t take a guy who averages 7 tackles per game, over two tackles for loss per game (each in excess of 5.88 yards of loss), at least one sack per game while forcing (on average) one turnover every game. You wouldn’t take Jarvis Jones.
If you listen to the national hype, 2.2 more tackles per game (and I might add – fewer solo tackles per game) outweighs the higher frequency with which Jones is recording a tackle for loss (3.86 times more often), a sack (8.75 times more often) and forcing a turnover (both have eight but Jones has done it in eight games as opposed to Te’o’s 10 games) and you’d ignore the fact that Jarvis Jones is harassing passers to the tune of 3.5 hits per game (Te’o comes in at 0.4).
I voted for Jarvis Jones for the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, because I believe in making informed, logical decisions. I voted for Jarvis Jones because actual performance means more to me than a gold helmet, an out of date tradition and crappy weekly games on NBC. I voted for Jarvis Jones because his nickname, “SacMan,” is better than Manti’s nickname (various feeble attempts to pronounce his name). I voted for Jarvis Jones because he is the best, and most dominant, defensive player in the country.
I voted for Jarvis Jones because it was the right thing to do. It was the American thing to do. And I’m American. Are you?
That’s all I got/