Category Archives: Florida Gators
If you’re up to date with the not-yet award winning Dude You Podcast, then you know how lukewarm this hate week has been for me. Not because I don’t hate Florida, never that; this is a school that ruined my childhood of Georgia fandom. I was pretty sure that it was a rule that Georgia lose this game until I was about 20, and by then, I had the warm embrace of alcohol to numb the sadness. We sit on the cusp of not only an expected strong showing against the school in Gainesville, but for an opportunity to produce secure a senior class that has NEVER lost to Florida.
Read that again. N-E-V-E-R. 16 year old Daniel’s head just exploded.
Georgia stealing one of these games used to be a rarity, and last night, Jason and I (Run The Pod) basically joked about margin of victory after he went on one of his patented ridiculous fan fiction stories outlining how Florida can win this game. So, please recognize that my lukewarm approach to #FloridaHateWeek is not a dimming of passion against the Gators, oh no. It’s more a quiet recognition that I’m screaming into the abyss that has become the Florida fan base. Whether it’s ones who can write (Spencer Hall) or ones who shouldn’t be allowed near a keyboard (twitter), the reaction from Florida faithful has been somewhere between apathy and openly cheering against their team. Hey Florida fans, can you at least fake it so that I don’t feel like we’re all on the same team? Takes all the fun out of beating you.
Well, not ALL the fun. ON TO THE PICKS.
As always, home team is in bold.
Panthers (-3) over Saints
That thing little kids do to make a fart noise by blowing against their hand? That’s the sound of the NFC South.
Browns (-6.5) over Buccaneers
In winning this bet, please be sure not to be exposed directly to the NFC South. These warnings are for your own well being.
Cardinals (+4) over Cowboys
Time to play Who is Going to Ruin this Cowboys Season? Early leader is Jerry Jones in the being Jerry Jones division, but let’s not forget Tony Romo’s Back, Jason Garret’s Gingerness and the fact that Brandon Weedon might be involved in some of these upcoming games. You can play at home too! Just remember, Jerry Jones being Jerry Jones is undefeated for like 20 years now.
Eagles (-2) over Texans
You’ve really got to ask your self if getting Clowney back offsets trotting out Ryan Harvard Fitzpatrick again this week. I think not. #SafetySchool EVERYBODY INTO THE POOL.
Chiefs (-9.5) over Jets
How does Rex Ryan still have a job? I mean, I’m not great at this, but it’s not technically a job. Still, if I showed the general lack of competency week after week, the Dude would either sit me down to fix things, or just change the site password so I couldn’t post. This isn’t a shot at Chad’s DudeYouGamblin posts, but it’s not not a shot at Chad’s DudeYouGamblin posts.
Bengals (-11) over Jags
Rough week for the people of Jacksonville. First they get to watch a man get fired on the field (sorry Will!) but then they get treated to watching their hometeam get beat up by the Bungals. Good times!
Dolphins (-2.5) over Chargers
West coast playing an early game back east. Old gambling trick.
Vikings (EVEN) over Washington Professional Football Team
I got in a real life conversation with a mouth-breather regarding the name of Washington’s football team, and if your best defense is, ‘this is the way it’s always been done,’ then congrats on being the NCAA.
Niners (-10) over Rams
Please don’t gamble on this game.
Patriots (+3) over Broncos
THIS is a marquee matchup that should probably be in primetime so I could bet on Peyton and not watch it. Now I honestly have no idea what’s going to happen, but I have learned my lesson about betting against the Pats at home this season.
Seahawks (-15) over Raiders
Ravens (-2) over Steelers
I know it’s not logical to think that Ben threw all his touchdowns last week, but you can’t prove it’s not true.
Colts (-3) over Giants
Don’t watch this game. Watch Killer Mike give you advice on life. First time I clicked on this video, I thought it would be a joke too, but it’s actually just legit life advice.
Last Week: 9-6
Love this? Hate it? Think I’m an idiot? Don’t just curse at me under your breath, head to the Dude You Podcast iTunes page, and leave a 5-star review to make sure I know it, and have your voice heard on the air.
Looking for Georgia Bulldogs football highlights on your phone? Download the UGA Vault for free from the iTunes App Store. Just click here. It’s that easy.
The UGA Vault is now available on Android and iPhone! Go here to download on either platform and get access to more videos like this.
That’s all I got/
When I was watching the College Football Playoff reveal show on Tuesday night, the commentators highlighted the fact that UCLA was ranked #22. They felt it important to note that Michigan State was in the same spot in last year’s first BCS rankings. Apparently, by some magic, 22 is a spot in which you’re guaranteed to rise. Michigan State 2013 played defense and UCLA 2014 does not, however, and they failed to mention that the first BCS rankings came out after week 8 whereas these are a week later. IMPORTANT DISTINCTIONS!
Taking the cynicism out, the point being made was that anyone currently ranked has, at worst, an outside shot of making the final four (even Duke!)
1) #2 Florida State at #25 Louisville (7:30, ESPN): I’m legitimately excited for this one. Apparently Louisville students petitioned to get better third down music, and will be mixing “Never Scared” by Bonecrusher and “Ruff Ryders Anthem” by DMX into their rotation.
Also, on the most recent DudeYouPodcast, I put the Noles on upset alert. Like, they’re long overdue for a loss, right? 1-6 against the spread this year, have played pitifully on the road (they gave up 41 to an N.C. State team who has a longer ACC losing streak than Arkansas’ SEC streak…yeesh), and their D has taken a significant step backwards since losing Jeremy Pruitt. And their new uniforms are hideous.
/hears motorcycle rev
//BY GOD, THAT’S BOBBY PETRINO’S MUSIC
Nope. Do so at your own risk.
Another Week, More Atrocious Noon Football
My advice: find a ranked team you are interested in and learn about them. That…doesn’t really help this weekend.
1a) #24 Duke at Pitt (ESPNU): Pitt is fascinatingly bipolar and Duke should be favored in every game it plays until the ACC Championship.
1b) #18 Oklahoma at Iowa State (FS1): Boomer Sooner could jump back into the title hunt with some help from Baylor, or they could implode. Angry SoonerNation is the best SoonerNation.
1c) The only other ranked team is recently-underperforming #23 ECU at Temple, and there are your regular B1G snoozers (Wisconsin at Rutgers, Maryland at Penn State) as well as a game between ACC Coastal contenders who may not even make bowl games with UNC at Miami.
3:30 Not Much Signal Interference, Enjoy the Sweet Sounds of Uncle Verne
1) #11 Georgia vs. Florida (CBS): Fun things to watch this week include Florida’s offense and someone tracking Jeremy Foley’s every move postgame.
2) #7 TCU at #20 West Virginia (ABC/ESPN2): S’go ‘Neers, and we in Georgia will provide some couches for you to burn. Your definite “previous channel easy flip” pick of the week.
3) Purdue at #15 Nebraska (ABC/ESPN2): Someone beat these corn-growing fools.
4) Kansas at #13 Baylor (FS1): As former Kansas coach Charlie Weis may say: Baylor has a decided schematic advantage. And talent advantage. And home field advantage.
I’ll Just Say It: We’ll All Be Drunk for the Night Games
In the words of Mallory Archer: “That’s what happens when you drink all day and skip lunch!” It’s Cocktail Party week, folks.
1) #3 Auburn at #4 Ole Miss (7, ESPN): Ummmmm, yes please. The first of a great many shakedown games in the SEC West.
2) Stanford at #5 Oregon (7:30, FOX): Stanford’s ploddingness (it’s now a word) has been the Duck-killer the past two years. Three, and the nation’s (I guess) second-best conference is out of the title hunt.
3) Arkansas at #1 Mississippi State (7:15, ESPN2): Is it just me, or does Mississippi State play exclusively at home this year? #CLANGACLANGACLANGA.
4) Oklahoma State at #9 Kansas State (8, ABC): Wait, you mean to tell me the ABC game isn’t some piddlysquat B1G game? SPEAK WITH YOUR REMOTES, PEOPLE!
#10 Notre Dame at Navy (8, CBS), Illinois at #16 Ohio State (8, ABC/ESPN3): Dear God, the piddlysquat B1G may still come to your boxes via ABC. Run.
1) #12 Arizona at #22 UCLA, #17 Utah at #14 Arizona State (10:30, ESPN; 11, FS1; respectively): Television programmers now have the goal of putting football on from noon until 4am, and this week, they have succeeded.
Enjoy the games, folks!
Georgia Football: NCAA Are The Good Guys, UGA Playoff Ranking Announced, Inside Scoop On The Gators – Daily Dose of Dawg
NCAA Are the Good Guys
I don’t know why everybody keeps getting so mad at the NCAA. The way I see it, they’re doing what’s right. Let’s recap:
- Allows the generous Auburn University to donate $250,000 to father of the quarterback in order to fix up his church.
- Quarterback in North Florida is starving, close to the brink of death, and they allow him to take free shellfish from a local supermarket.
- A need is seen in downtown Athens: People in the streets, kids in broken families, poverty, litter on the sides of roads. The NCAA can bear it no longer, so they assign 40 hours of serving the community to star Georgia running back.
Seems to me the NCAA not only cares for student athletes, but humanity as a whole.
Full story on Gurley here.
First College Football Playoff Rankings Announced
Last night, the first ever College Football Playoff rankings were announced, and Georgia came in at number eleven.
Here are the complete rankings:
Some UGA fans were upset about Georgia’s ranking, but I really don’t have a problem with it. Yes, I think they’re better than #11, but they haven’t played many good opponents at this point in the season, so they don’t necessarily deserve to be ranked ahead of some of the other one-loss teams. Still, the task is simple for UGA: Win out and win the SEC Championship, they’re in. Lose a game, they’re not.
Q & A With Florida Insider
Radi Nabulsi of UGASports.com was able to ask the Florida beat writer some questions about Saturday’s matchup, and he had some pretty interesting things to say.
If you’re looking for a way to watch past Georgia highlights and get access to some other great content, make sure to check out The UGA Vault!
Check back daily for more Daily Dose of Dawg!
Jonathan Follow @johnnysanders